Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Vector Mucho?

This is a portrait I made of Jalon, an extraordinary artist in Spain.
I kinda messed up his visible eye but I still love this portrait~

This is Nil Bartolozzi, an artist in Barcelona~
I love the colors on this one and the lines too.

I guess everyone's picked it up by now that I am as much as a vector illustrator as I am a female. I don’t know exactly what I meant by that but it sounds right, doesn’t it?



I became interested in vector graphics when I was still in art school. We were tasked to make a vector portrait of ourselves and the cynical person in me that wanted to be the best ended up with this:
Not bad for a first timer, y/y?
(I don't have the hi-res version of this, what a shame~)

I guess since I liked painting with poster paint/gouache way before I got into vectors and it involves layers as well, stepping into digital art via by doing vector is very fitting because a vector illustration is made up of many layers too! Look at these ancient portraits I made when I was in high school (That's almost 7 years ago! Haha. Cannot give away my age just yet~). They are rendered in poster paint :

If it's not that obvious, that is a man's face with his cabbage hair.

Those are white crayon spiral lines. I drew it in first and then painted. Man. I can still see the rough brush strokes! Hahaha. And did I just forget to paint in the nose?

I easily fell in love with vectors since that first portrait. They look so simplified yet making one full portrait takes hours. Christmas 2009, I made vector portraits of my friends from the office and made them into notebooks as Christmas presents! Here are some of the portraits:

Aren't they lovely?
Here are the notebook versions:


I made 15 of these notebooks and I love each and every piece, especially when they are placed side by side. If you received one of these notebooks, will you be pleased?

Grey Goose & Skittles Vodka,
SFM

♬ Listening to: Anberlin’s, Retrace (Quite apt for this post, yes? Cause you know, you retrace the photo to turn it into digital art? Har har.. Just in case you didn’t get it. :| )

No comments:

Post a Comment